Moved by Councillors Josh Matlow and Mike Layton
Since being selected as the operator of Casa Loma, the Liberty Entertainment Group has unquestionably revitalized the heritage site. However, there is still a need for community consultation to create a vision for the North of Austin Terrace site.
The item at Council that awarded the RFP to Liberty in 2013 was EX 35.2 – Casa Loma Request for Proposals – Operator for Main House and Grounds. The Staff Recommendations for the item clearly delineated the North of Austin Terrace as a separate entity, intended for a different use and/or operator:
- City Council request that the Casa Loma Corporation review options for the north portion of the Casa Loma complex, including consideration of issuance of an Request for Expressions of Interest, and in doing so:
- identify a vision and uses for the north portion of the Casa Loma complex;
- ensure the vision and uses proposed are complimentary to the heritage, tourism and event uses at the Main House and Grounds;
- preclude the sale of City owned lands; and
- provide that the review process includes significant community and key stakeholder consultation
In advance of awarding the RFP for the North of Austin Terrace site in April of 2015, Staff cited a lone public consultation meeting on February 26, 2015 in response to AI 43.1. This does not meet Council direction as cited above in recommendation ‘6’ of the 2013 item and ignores recommendation 8, which obligated Staff to report back to Council on ‘6’ prior to moving forward with an RFP:
- City Council direct that Casa Loma Corporation, through the City Manager, report to Council on the review process for the north portion of Casa Loma; and that the City Manager report back on the appropriate future governance structure for the Casa Loma complex no later than the spring of 2015.
In short, the vision for the site was supposed to be set by the community and Council prior to the RFP being issued. This was not done. That’s why this motion seeks to rectify this error by directing Staff to move forward with the process laid out in 2013 for the North of Austin Terrace Site.
- City Council direct the City Manager to fulfill recommendation 6 of EX 35.2 (2013), and report to the appropriate committee in Q1 2023.