December 28th 2013
As thousands remain without power one week after the ice storm that hit southern Ontario, one city councilor is calling for a special meeting to discuss response improvements.
Josh Matlow took to Twitter on Saturday to say he was requesting a special city council meeting to talk about “improvements needed to respond to events like this week” as well as guidelines for the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP).
The ODRAP assists those whose essential property has been extensively damaged as a result of a sudden, unexpected natural disaster.
Matlow says that the programs 14 day time period is why he is requesting the meeting.
The Ward 22 councilor’s tweet was met with some skepticism on social media by other members of city council.
Coun. Janet Davis responded to his tweet by asking “Can we just get everyone’s power back first?”
Coun. Paul Ainslie suggested the topic be discussed when council resumes next year.
“We can have it during regular City Council. I don’t think we need a special one. I want to get feedback from residents first.” Ainslie tweeted.
About 16,000 Toronto Hydro customers are still without power but Toronto could be fully restored by Tuesday, Mayor Rob Ford told reporters Saturday.
“We see light at the end of the tunnel,” Ford said at city hall.
Hydro crews have been working “around the clock” to restore power to the remaining eight per cent of affected customers. Power has been restored to approximately 276,130 customers.
“This is first time in seven days I’ve been able to stand here and say, ‘I can see the end line now,’” said Anthony Haines, CEO of Toronto Hydro, echoing Ford’s statements. “It’s right there. I can see it coming. I just can’t tell you the hour that we’re going to cross the finish line.”
Matlow had previously called for Mayor Rob Ford to declare a state of emergency to help the city with additional resources from the province.
To read this article in its original form click here.