- Schedule, organize and maintain Google and Outlook calendars; determine the importance of internal and external meeting requests, prioritize and schedule accordingly to constantly changing priorities
- Field and direct phone calls received and assist with coordinating conference calls, relay messages in order of importance, prioritize emails and messages
- Responsible for general administrative operations of the Councillor’s office. Ensures the Councillor is relieved of all administrative detail as it relates to the day-to-day running of the office if delegated by the Councillor.
- Prepares and coordinates general presentation material and speeches for the Councillor when delegated and as directed by the Councillor or the Executive Assistant.
- Arranges public meetings, meetings with constituents and other community events. Assists and/or represents the Councillor at meetings/events.
- Reviews and distributes incoming mail, emails and telephone inquiries to appropriate staff member.
- Handles general enquiries or refers to other members of the Councillor’s staff and appropriate City staff.
- May assist the Councillor and Councillor’s staff in handling concerns and complaints from constituents and the public. Gathers information and/or prepares response as directed.
- Ensures records are maintained and follows up on requests and inquiries made by the Councillor to City staff.
- Prepares plaques and letters of commendation for special events as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality with respect to issues involving the City and the Councillor, and adheres to the City’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Maintains awareness of ward, community and city-wide municipal matters, and other matters affecting the municipality, the Councillor and their constituents.
- Develops and maintains database of Councillor’s contacts.
- High level degree of accuracy, resourceful, organization and attention to detail, problem-solving and judgment skills and mindset and the ability to handle and prioritize numerous complex tasks simultaneously, while under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Undertakes special assignments as requested by the Councillor.
Knowledge & Expertise:
- College diploma or University degree in a related field, or equivalent experience, with 2-3 year’s experience in similar role
- Strong MS office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook,) WebEx, Google calendar skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and initiative to proactively identify and resolve problems and issues
- Highly developed ability to work well under pressure of deadlines while maintaining a high-quality standard of work
- Highly developed ability to multitask, with attention to detail and accuracy
- Highly developed ability to navigate work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Excellent organizational skills through proven ability to organize workload, determine priorities and accept personal responsibility for the completion of tasks
- Confidence to make independent decisions, within defined guidelines, with a willingness to take direction
- Willingness to be part of a team, assisting other team members to ensure an effective and efficient operation
- Highly developed verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Available to work evenings and occasional weekends as required
- Knowledge of City of Toronto divisions, services and constituency reporting processes is considered an asset
- A valid G driver’s license is considered an asset
The position is a fixed-term, full-time contract starting in May 2021 until November 2022 (the end of the Council term). We are working remotely temporarily due to COVID-19 but the position will be based out of City Hall.
Hours & Compensation: 35 hours per week, not including occasional evenings and weekends. Salary information available upon request. This position includes full health and dental benefits.
Deadline for Application: Thursday, April 29th at 5:00 pm. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com using the subject line “Application: Administrative Assistant” outlining why you are interested in the position as well as highlighting your relevant experiences. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.